Crossbats Cricket Club was founded in 1982 by Nigel Holman and Chris Lloyd, from local and pub players who played occasionally on Moormead near Twickenham station. Our first fixtures were played on Old Deer Park in Richmond.
In 1986, the Club moved to Moormead with support from the Sports Council and the first regular Saturday side was established. By the next season, the Club had expanded under the new chairman David Lausen to include two Saturday sides, two Sunday sides, and a women's team. The club also ran mixed and six-a-side teams.
In the early Naughties, the club saw significant changes. Playing at Moormead became impossible as a result of both lack of facilities and some local resistance to flying cricket balls on a small pitch. Initially, there was a move to Kingston at The Hawker Centre before the Saturday 1st and 2nd XI’s moved to Hampton Wick to form part of Hampton Wick Royal Cricket Club as their 3rd and 4th XI’s.
In 2012, Crossbats moved to our current home at Marble Hill, playing on the all-weather surface in front of the beautiful, newly restored 1720’s Marble Hill House